Monday, February 21, 2011

Testing....

The kiln is slowly cooling downstairs, 1300 degrees last time I checked. Its hard, this waiting. I have stashed a few experiments in this firing, pushing the envelope a bit, trying some new things. Its good to shake things up a bit now and then. It has been a while since I last took a little venture out of my safety zone, glaze wise.
One of the things I miss most about being a student, is the glaze chem lab. I love trying new glaze formulas, playing the alchemist, and discovering that perfect colour/texture combo. These days I rarely get to experiment, I have my core glazes, and I can fiddle around a bit with them...but setting up a chemical cupboard to test as much as I would like to, would cost the moon.
This is a pretty tame group of experiments, just some new variations on some glaze combos, and some experimental brush work. The studio is looking rather like a bomb went off, so I had best get down there, and make it serviceable again. There are orders that need filling... no rest for the wicked!

No comments:

Post a Comment