Sunday, February 14, 2010

Tumblers and Such

I thought it was time I shared a few of my latest production pieces. I have been mulling over some design changes, and some new glazes.
I use the term production very loosely. I hate being hemmed in to making one endless mug after another all the same. At the same time I do revisit this simple cylindrical form, again and again. I just like the aesthetic.
As a handbuilder, The possiblities are endless. I enjoy pushing the bounderies, as with my teapots, and madd hatter teacups. But at the end of the day, it is comforting to me to sit back, with a simple tumbler, softly fluid in form, and sip a glass of shiraz. These Blue and white tumblers are some of my favourites. I also make them with a soft green, and a turquoise glaze. They are simple, they are delicate, and they make me happy.



The green glaze on these teabowls is one of my faves. It has a beautiful range of behaviours, none of them bad. Since I am currently firing at the craft centre, I am not as able to control the firings the way I would like. Once I have my kiln set up at home I am sure that I can tweak the firings to my satisfaction, and master the subtleties of this glaze. I have been very happy with the results each time I fire, but am never sure if it will be the same as last firing. Its a wee bit annoying this lack of control.....
I started making these pendants for my daughter, out of scraps from my slab constructions. She has a few, and her girlfriends have all got at least one. But who knew that they would end up being a big hit at the gallery! They sell really well. Huh.

2 comments:

  1. Those handbuilt tumblers are really lovely. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Hollis, I enjoyed making them!

    ReplyDelete